- In this article we will explain what are the meta tags, why they are needed on the site and how to properly fill these tags with regard to seo-site optimization. Meta Tags have different importance both for seo and for search engines. And in the previous article we described how to properly fill in the Title tag, here we will talk about the meta description and keywords. And probably a little touch other meta tags that help search bots in Yandex and Google properly index the site.
WHAT ARE META TAGS AND WHAT ARE THEY FOR
- Meta Tags are special html tags, which help search engines to properly identify the service information about the pages and make them indexed. It is also worth noting that some of the meta tags can redirect users, deny access to search engine bots and perform other tasks.
- Such tags can make life much easier for search engines and therefore they should be used. It is worth noting that search engines today have become much smarter and can determine by themselves the information they need, and some tags can even ignore or attach them much less importance than it was before.
DESCRIPTION META TAG
- The tag description is designed for a brief description of the site. Search engines have different attitude to it, for example Google quite often shows the text of the tag in the description of extradition, provided that the text in the description does not contain spam and relevant to the query and the content of the page. Therefore, the meta description should always be filled and not just a method of copying title as they do some. The number of characters in the meta description should not be more than 200 characters, if there will be more in some search engines, they still will not be taken into account and just cut off. And do not use any meta tag generators, etc..
THE KEYWORDS META TAG
- The keywords tag was invented by the owners of sites to help search engines by specifying which keywords and phrases are used in the page. But webmasters have very often tried to deceive the search engines and search engines itself began to greatly underestimate the keywords specified in this tag. Today, there is a dispute between the optimizers take into account this tag or not. We would still advise to fill the meta keywords, but enter there should only those words that are actually present on your page. And lastly, all the key phrases should be listed, separated by commas.
INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER META TAGS
- There are many more meta tags are generator, author, content-type, content-language, robots, canonical and so on. They carry information about the encoding of the site, in what language the site, to index this page or not, etc. But it often happens that it is easier to set this information in the service files such as robots and .htaccess. Yes, and the site is usually controlled by a control system (CMS) and from that tags can not be manipulated, and often just do not need, as the engine takes this work for itself.
- Conclusion you can do the following, the meta tags keywords and description are required, but they must be filled competently, though they do not have much weight. The point here is something else, namely that in seo optimization little things do not happen and it is from their sum and the total weight of the page. In the following article on seo promotion, we will tell you about the emphasis tags, what is it and how to use them.